Berries and basil and quinoa oh my! This combination of sweet dressing, savory quinoa, and fresh fruit is the definition of a perfect summer salad. With just a few simple ingredients you’ll have a dish that’s perfect for picnics, weekends at the cabin, an on the go snack, or easy to pack lunch. I came home one day to find the tupperware of this delicious creation completely empty. “That salad you made was unexpectedly very good,” my mom confessed….I don’t blame her though, this stuff is so darn good. I will most definitely be making a double batch next time. Try it for yourself, recipe below!
- 1 c quinoa (I used red quinoa for extra color, but any kind works!)
- 2 c strawberries (sliced)
- 1 c blueberries
- 1 c black berries
- 2 mangos (cubed)
- ¼ c chopped basil
- juice from 2 limes
- 2 T salt
- 1T pepper
- ¼ c honey
- ½ c olive oil
- Rinse quinoa and prepare according to instructions on packaging- different kinds of quinoa often require different cook times and liquid additions. My red quinoa called for 1.5 c water to be added to the quinoa, brought to a boil and simmered for 15 minutes.
- Refrigerate cooked quinoa for 20 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooling, clean, prep and cut fruit.
- In a small bowl, combine lime juice, salt, pepper, honey and olive oil. Mix well.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooled quinoa, fruit, and dressing. Stir to combine.
- Top salad with basil for extra color and fresh flavor.
- Enjoy, and store leftovers in the refrigerator!
If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to add it to your Pinterest board of must try recipes! Move your cursor over the image and click the “Pin It” button in the upper left hand corner from your desktop computer, or press the pin it button at the bottom of the screen from your mobile device. Thank you for sharing!