This….this is a good one. These simple steak fajitas with kiwi lime salsa give a gourmet feel with much less effort than you’d think! As a recent grad, one of my favorite memories looking back on college were the special nights my roommates and I got together for ‘roomie dinners.’ It didn’t happen as often as we’d like with crazy and opposite schedules, but the nights we were all together were the best. If I could go back for a dinner with my six lovely roommates, I’d love to make this!
So do it now – get on your group text and tell the roomies you’re making dinner! Better yet, get them to help! Whether you’re just getting to know your roommates, or if you’re seasoned vets at sharing a roof, there’s few better ways to end the night than with your closest friends. I promise this super simple recipe will give off the fancy schmancy feel of a gourmet dinner right from your college apartment or house.
The kiwi lime salsa included in this recipe is both refreshing and delicious! It’s the perfect pairing to the southwest flavored steak, peppers and onions!
Marinating the steak for these tasty fajitas was as easy as a salt, pepper, and a taco seasoning packet! Using a seasoning packet was a quick and easy trick to achieving bold flavor without having to spend an entire grocery shopping budget on spices.
- 1 package cubed beef
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 2 bell peppers
- ½ red onion
- olive oil
- greek yogurt/ sour cream (optional)
- juice from ½ lime
- 3 kiwi
- 1 tomato
- salt and pepper
- Begin preparing your salsa by peeling kiwi with a vegetable peeler, then cut into small cubes. Place cubed kiwi in a small bowl.
- Next, dice your tomato into similar sized cubes. Add to the kiwi bowl.
- Cut your lime in half, and squeeze juice from ½ of the lime over your kiwi and tomato mixture. Save the remaining lime half for garnish later on!
- Finely chop cilantro; add cilantro to the kiwi/ tomato mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper, then stir to combine.
- Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- In a mixing bowl, combine steak pieces, ½ packet taco seasoning, 1 T olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix together until meat is well coated with oil and seasonings.
- Next, slice peppers and onions into small strips.
- In a large skillet, begin heating 1 T of olive oil over medium/high heat. After oil has heated, add steak pieces. Cook for 5-7 minutes until steak has browned and cooked to your preferred doneness.
- Remove steak from skillet and place in a clean bowl.
- Add peppers and onions to the skillet and cook 5-7 minutes over medium heat until tender.
- Assemble your fajitas on a tortilla with a few pieces of steak, peppers, onions, and a scoop of kiwi lime salsa. Add additional toppings like cheese, greek yogurt/ sour cream, chopped cilantro or a squeeze of lime!
If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to Pin It for later!